Beignets, known as French donuts are a new addition to my bread recipes. These super soft and moderately sweet small squares of happiness, Buttermilk Beignets, are perfect to make your tea-time memorable. These are traditionally prepared before consumption so to eat fresh and warm.
The term beignet has two varieties depending upon the type of pastry. The French-style beignets in the United States have the specific meaning of deep-fried pastry.
These can also be made with yeasted dough and hence known as boules de Berlin in French. In Corsica, the beignets are made with chestnut four and are known as Fritelli. Whereas in Canada, the donuts are referred to as Beigne or Beignets. Different Places different names.
Quick Notes for Buttermilk Beignets Recipe
|Oven Temp||180 °C|
|Baking Time||20 min|
|MW Convection Temp||170 °C|
|Baking Time||20 min|
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
- In a bowl add lukewarm milk. Add sugar and yeast to it. Stir it and keep it aside until it froths.
- In a jar take buttermilk and add vanilla extract to it. Stir it and keep aside.
- Once yeast froths, add flour, salt, baking soda and buttermilk solution to it. Start mixing it.
- Add butter and mix it into the dough. Do not knead this dough.
- Once everything comes together, just cover the bowl with cling wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Once dough doubles, take it out of the refrigerator. Punch the dough to release the air.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions.
- For fried Beignets, In a pan, pour enough oil for frying. Bring into 180 °C on medium heat.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the one portion of dough into a rectangular sheet of a ½ inch thickness. Using a knife cut 1x1 inches squares out of it.
- Fry them until golden and puffed. Then transfer on a kitchen towel and dust with icing sugar.
- For baked Beignets, transfer a few of the squares to the lined baking tray. Cover them with a kitchen towel and keep aside for the second rise.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180 °C and bake the squares in preheated oven for 20
- After baking, let them come on room temperature and then quote with melted chocolate.
- Our two versions of Buttermilk Beignets are ready to serve.
- Every ingredient in the recipe and its quantity has its own significance. Do not alter them.
- This recipe is a tried and tested recipe. Substitute the ingredient/s only at your own risk.
- You can adjust the servings of this recipe in the “Recipe Card” and all the ingredients and their measurement will automatically adjust.
- To buy our recommended baking tool and ingredients, please visit, our Shop of recommended baking products.
- Buttermilk is not easily available in many places. In that case, whisk a ¼ cup of fresh yogurt with ¾ cup water. Or add 1 tsp vinegar to 1 cup milk. Keep it aside for 5 minutes. Buttermilk is ready.
Resources for Home Makers and Home Bakers