This post is dedicated to my dear husband. He is not too fond of sweets, but a chocolate banana cake and banana bread is his all-time favorite. The mild sweet whole wheat healthy chocolate banana cake extracts most of its sweetness from the overripe bananas. The usage of a negligible amount of sugar puts the banana cake into his list of favorite desserts.
I have been making different versions of banana bread to delight him and this time I decided to give him a new surprise. Instead of banana bread, I decided to bake a chocolate banana cake recipe that suits his taste buds too.
|Recommended Read: Vegan Banana Bread
On Sunday evening while playing chess with my son, when he asked to have something for munching, I gave him the slice of layered banana cake. I had secretly baked this whole wheat chocolate banana cake in advance for him.
And when he saw the slice of his favorite banana cake, for a moment he looked at me and smiled. He gobbled all at one go.
As usual, I was not expecting any compliment or advice from him. In the past 12 years one thing I have completely understood about him – if he eats without uttering a word that means you have cooked well. Don’t expect any words of praise 😉
If you prefer watching recipe instead of reading it, here is the video link for the recipe
Rest others may continue reading…
Ingredients for chocolate banana cake
For this recipe, I have used whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and my favorite bananas. Overripe bananas are best for this recipe. In case you don’t have overripe bananas, don’t worry, I have a tip for you. Keep the bananas in the freezer for 2 hours and then thaw them. Your overripe bananas are ready.
PS: Use Conversion Table to convert cups into grams and vice versa
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Let’s make our moist chocolate banana cake
In a bowl mash bananas using a masher or a fork and add sugar and oil to it. Mix everything until sugar completely dissolves.
I have purposely used brown sugar for this recipe. I like the flavor of molasses and brown sugar also adds that extra dark color to the cake. However, if you don’t have brown sugar, you can add regular white sugar. The measurement will remain the same.
Using a sifter, sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt altogether. Don’t skip this step. Using a spatula, fold all the dry ingredients into wet ingredients. There should be no lumps. Add milk to the batter to make it of pouring consistency.
Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating to 180 °C for a minimum of 10 minutes.
Pour cinnamon-flavored batter first and then top it with cocoa-flavored batter. Tap the tin on the counter.
Bake it in preheated oven for 30 min or until it passes the toothpick test.
When the cake is baked, take it out from oven and demould it. Let the cake rest on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Once it cooled down to room temperature, slice it and serve.
Be assured, not only old kids, even the young adults will love this cake.
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
- In a bowl mash bananas and add sugar and oil to it and mix it until sugar completely dissolves.
- Mix the dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Add milk to the batter to make it of pouring consistency.
- Divide the batter into two equal parts.
- Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C.
- Grease a baking tin with butter or line it with parchment paper.
- Pour cinnamon flavoured batter first and then top it with cocoa flavoured batter. Tap the tin on the counter.
- Bake it in preheated oven for 30 min or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Demold the cake and let it rest on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
2. To bake this cake, use only the bottom coil.
3. In case you don’t like cocoa then you can make it completely without cocoa.
4. You can add your choice of nuts and Choco chips to the batter.
5. The time taken by the cake to bake can vary oven to oven. Bake the cake until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Bake this cake in convection mode at 160 °C for 30 min or until it passes the toothpick test.
7. If you want to try this recipe with jaggery powder then add 100 gm of jaggery powder.