This Eggless Chocolate Semolina Cake was made on demand. A close friend requested me to bake a cake for her husband’s birthday.
I hardly take orders but it’s impossible to refuse friends. After all, friends are for each other, isn’t it? The fun started when she listed down her requirements for the birthday cake. Her requirements were little like:
I had to actually ask her if she really needed a birthday cake. I had made an eggless chocolate cake with condensed milk earlier, but that will not work this time. My ladoo did a whole wheat chocolate cake, but that also won’t fit into the bill. Wheat cakes are not going to be light.
I was in a fix. For a minute or two I regretted myself for saying yes to her but then I made my mind to take this challenge. Here my never say NO attitude encouraged me.
Chocolate Semolina Cake Recipe
I opted semolina (raw) to use as a base. Why semolina?
Because it fits into all the parameters given by my friend. Semolina is also known as superfood. Healthy without using wheat flour, light without using all-purpose flour.
Want to get growing?
Starting and growing a business can be hard, and sometimes you might feel stuck. Our weekly newsletter gets delivered to over 30,000 people each week to help them grow. We'd love to help you, too. Subscribe now, it's free.
We respect your privacy and promise to only send you the freshest baking news. No spam, ever. You can unsubscribe at any time.
MW Convection Temp
PS: Use conversion table to switch recipe between grams and cups.
Best Chocolate Semolina Cake Recipe
To make this cake chocolatey, I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder. It was difficult to select the ingredients per her instructions but not impossible.
When the cake came out of the oven, I was like as I have cleared my exams with distinction. It was super soft, moist and light in texture.
This is certainly one of the best semolina cake (suji cake) recipe you will find. A perfect cake to enjoy while enjoying a cold evening on your terrace.
Well, as far as my friend is concerned, she wasn’t really sure as to how the chocolate semolina cake also know as chocolate rava cake will taste. However, the efforts resulted in a super cool thank you call with a list of compliments that her friends gave her while eating the cake.
Step-by-step process of Chocolate Semolina Cake
In a large mixing bowl take Semolina, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix dry ingredients.
Add fresh yogurt, oil and chocolate essence to the dry ingredients. Mix it.
Start adding milk to it to make a batter. Add half of the milk and keep the rest milk aside.
Prepare a smooth batter and let this batter rest for 10 minutes. During this time the semolina will soak the moisture and batter will become thick. Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C.
Now add the rest of the milk to the batter. The batter should be of pouring consistency. Add Salt, Baking powder and Baking soda to the batter and whisk it well. Pour the batter into a greased baking tin (8” inches).
Bake it in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once the cake is baked, take it out from the oven and de-mold it.
Place the de-molded cake on a wired rack and let it cool completely.
Now try this recipe and share your feedback. Till then happy baking!
Baking a picture perfect cake is everybody’s desire. And if you are a baking enthusiastic and trying to figure out where to start from, then you can check our specially designed courses for you.
Let me know your experience with the recipe in the comment box below. I will try to respond back as much as possible.
For Recommended Tools and Ingredients visit my Amazon Shop Page.
- Add fresh yogurt, oil and chocolate essence to the dry ingredients. Mix it.
- Start adding milk to it to make a batter. Add half of the milk and keep the rest milk aside.
- Prepare a smooth batter and let this batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C.
- Now add the rest of the milk to the batter. Batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Add Salt, Baking powder and Baking soda to the batter and whisk it well.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking tin (8” inches).
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once cake is baked, take it out from the oven and de-mould it.
- Place the de-moulded cake on a wired rack and let it cool completely.
- Ensure you give 10 minutes of resting time when you soak semolina with wet ingredients.
- Just want to make Semolina cake without chocolate, remember to include 30gm of of semolina instead of 30gm of cocoa powder.
- Do not use stale curd. The recipe will completely get spoiled. Only fresh curd/yogurt that is sweet in taste.
- Use flavourless oil.
- If you feel that your batter is thick, add milk accordingly. The batter needs to be of pouring consistency, but not runny.
- Do not use roasted semolina for this recipe.
- Use fine semolina (sooji).