This is my special for the day of Romance that we name as Valentine’s Day, Death by Chocolate Cake. Valentine’s Day used to be extremely popular among youngsters, but now it’s all over. People exchange gifts, flowers, cards, and chocolates on Valentine’s Day.
Chocolate, Valentine, and Love is a perfect love triangle. There is no better way to express your love than to express it with a perfect luscious chocolate cake. Chocolate Cake is one of the most suitable ways to convey your feelings of love and intimacy to your partner. Victorians used chocolates to seduce their partner.
Death by Chocolate Cake
A handmade chocolate cake is a true expression of your love and dedication in a relationship. And this Death by Chocolate Cake will make your Valentine melt in your arms.
When I made this chocolate cake for my Valentine, he was overwhelmed with the amount of chocolate in the cake. Sarcastically he said, that I would die one day because of chocolate. I happily responded
|Recommended Read: Eggless Chocolate Cake
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Let’s make Death by Chocolate Cake
Ganache plays an important role in this Valentine’s special cake. It adds the richness and the gloss to the cake. Ok, so let’s prepare the Chocolate Ganache first.
Keep a non-stick pan on medium flame and heat 100 gm fresh cream. After one boil switch off the flame and add chopped dark chocolate and butter. I have used Lindt’s dark chocolate as I love its flavor. Mix it well. There should be no lumps.
To get smooth ganache, you can whisk it with electric whisker for 2 minutes. Transfer this ganache to a bowl and let it rest. With time it will thicken.
Let’s make the Cake Sponge
For that, beat two eggs in a large mixing bowl. Get creamy froth from the eggs. Now add sugar, vanilla essence, and oil. Continue to whisk until sugar dissolves.
Sift all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sifting is important not only because it helps to remove unwanted particles, but also helps to aerate the flour. This results in light and fluffy bakes.
Use cut and fold method and mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Do not overmix the better.
If you feel that your batter is thick, use milk to make the batter of pouring consistency. Every flour has different absorption capacity so add milk accordingly. For this recipe, I have used 2 tbs of milk.
Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C. Take a greased (or lined with parchment paper) baking tin and pour the batter into it. I have used 8” round pan for this cake.
|Recommended Read: Chocolate Semolina Cake
To get a perfect crack-free top, pan size matters. Tap it once on counter gently. Bake it in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
Once the baking is complete, remove the tin from the oven. Allow the cake to rest for 5 minutes before you de-mold it. After demolding, transfer the cake to a cooling rack to avoid it being soggy.
Assembling the Cake
After you have made the cake sponge and ganache ready, it’s time to put things together and assemble the cake. And for that, the first thing is the slice your cake sponge into two horizontal halves. The symmetrical they are, better it is for shaping.
Place one layer on board and spread some ganache on it. Add chopped and crushed chocolates. Do not put big chunks of chocolate on this layer. You may add another layer of ganache to chocolate pieces.
Now place the other half layer on top of it. Cover the top and sides of the cake with ganache and smoothen it.
Now cover the top of the cake with your choice of chocolates. Finally, drizzle some chocolate sauce on it.
Your homemade Valentine special Death by Chocolate Cake is ready. Let the cake rest in the Refrigerator for 30 minutes before you serve it.
|Recommended Read: Chocolate Cake with Ganache
Watch the making of Death by Chocolate Cake
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
For Cake Sponge
- 100 gm Amul Fresh Cream
- 200 gm Dark Chocolate
- 10 gm Unsalted Butter
- For ganache, take 100 gm cream in a non-stick pan. Bring it to boil on medium flame.
- After one boil switch off the flame and add chopped dark chocolate and butter. Mix it well. There should be no lumps.
- Transfer chocolate ganache into a bowl. Let this ganache rest and with time it will thicken.
- To make cake sponge, in a large mixing bowl take two eggs. Start whisking them.
- Add sugar, vanilla essence and oil. Continue to whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Take a sifter and sieve all-purpose flour, Cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients using cut and fold method.
- Use milk to make the batter of pouring consistency. For this recipe, I have used 2 tbs of milk.
- Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C.
- Take a greased (or lined with parchment paper) baking tin and pour the batter into it. I have used 8” round pan for this cake.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- After the baking is done, remove the tin from the oven. Let the cake rest for 5 minutes before you de-mould it.
- To assemble the cake, cut the cake sponge into two horizontal halves. Place one layer on board and spread some ganache on it. Add chopped and crushed chocolates.
- Place the other half layer on top of it and smoothen it with chocolate ganache. Cover the sides of the cake with ganache and smoothen it too.
- Cover the top of the cake with your choice of chocolates. Finally, drizzle some chocolate sauce on it. Let the cake rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.