Nankhatai is a famous Indian shortbread. This eggless nankhatai recipe melts in the mouth and that is why it is a favorite of almost everyone. Its texture makes it different from other cookies like Karachi Cookies or Coconut Macaroons.
There are so many variations of these nankhatai cookies but generally, nankhatai main ingredients are all-purpose flour, semolina, sugar, and ghee.
To add my touch, I love to add besan (Gram flour) into these Indian Shortbread cookies. This enhances the flavor and color of the cookies and adds to the nutritional value.
Besan Semolina Nankhatai Recipe
Nankhatai is mostly available at any Indian Bakery but I love to serve homemade cookies to my family. That is the reason I keep trying different combinations of flours to make different versions.
Click here to watch the full video recipe
But if you are like me who like to read step-by-step process then continue reading.
Without further delay, let’s get started!
Want to get growing?
Starting and growing a business can be hard, and sometimes you might feel stuck. Our weekly newsletter gets delivered to over 30,000 people each week to help them grow. We'd love to help you, too. Subscribe now, it's free.
We respect your privacy and promise to only send you the freshest baking news. No spam, ever. You can unsubscribe at any time.
MW Convection Temp
PS: Use conversion table to switch recipe between grams and cups. Here is the easy nankhatai recipe
Eggless Besan Nankhatai Recipe
Try to use powdered sugar only for this recipe as it will mix easily and will give a smooth texture to the cookie dough.
Start mixing everything. Just continue to mix as everything will come together like a soft dough. Do not feel tempted to add extra ghee or milk to bind.In-between add 3-4 drops of cardamom flavor from Ossoro. Continue to mix and the dough is ready.
Take a small portion of the dough and roll it into a round shape between your palms. Make an impression in the center using your finger and add a few chopped pistachio or almonds. Keep it on a lined baking tray.
Similarly, shape the rest of the cookies. Place all the cookies on a baking tray by leaving some space in-between as the cookies will spread while baking.
Now, bake these in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 15-18 minutes.
After 18 minutes, the cookies are out from the oven. Look at the way these spread inside the oven.
Do not try to list the cookies immediately as these may break. Let these rest on a baking tray only for 15-20 minutes and then serve.
The resting time will make the cookies firm.
Now try this recipe and share your feedback. Till then happy baking!
Baking a picture perfect cake is everybody’s desire. And if you are a baking enthusiastic and trying to figure out where to start from then you must start with our 30 Days Baking Challenge Online Course.
This course does not just teach you recipes, rather it teaches you the science behind baking. This is a perfect way for a beginner to start learning and gain confidence in their baking.
You can also master the art of baking in just 30 days. Click here to know more.
Let me know your experience with the recipe in the comment box below. I will try to respond back as much as possible.
For Recommended Tools and Ingredients visit my Amazon Shop Page.
- In a bowl take room temperature ghee.
- Add besan, all-purpose flour, semolina, baking powder, baking soda, and powdered sugar to it.
- Mix everything until combines.
- In-between add cardamom flavor.
- Bind it like a soft dough.
- Take a small portion of the dough and shape it like a ball. Make a thumb impression in the center and add pistachio.
- Similarly, shape the rest of the cookies.
- Bake these in a preheated oven at 180 C for 18 minutes
- After 18 minutes, take the cookies out from the oven and let them rest on the tray.
- You can serve the cookies after 15 minutes of resting.
- Every ingredient in the recipe and its quantity has its own significance. Do not alter them.
- This recipe is a tried and tested recipe. Substitute the ingredient/s only at your own risk.
- You can adjust the servings of this recipe in the “Recipe Card” and all the ingredients and their measurement will automatically adjust.