I still remember my childhood days and gobbling those Brown bread sandwiches. Mom used to let us eat considering Brown Bread means bread baked with 100 % whole wheat. What an illusion it was.
6 years back when I started baking, especially bread, and then only I realized that Brown Bread is not 100% whole wheat bread. But this is made with a small portion of whole wheat flour, major portion of refined flour with added molasses.
PS: If you are interested in learning 100% Whole Wheat Bread Baking, I have a special course for you. Click here to check the course details.
|Oven Temp||200 °C|
|Baking Time||40 min|
|MW Convection Temp||180 °C|
|Baking Time||40 min|
|Cooling Time||2 hr|
PS: Use conversion table to switch recipe between grams and cups
Dark Molasses in Homemade Brown Bread
The dark color of molasses add the brown color to the dough and hence its brown bread. Molasses is a good source of iron, selenium, and copper, all of which help maintain healthy bones . The syrup also contains some calcium, which plays an important role in bone health and preventing osteoporosis. So if you are still consuming Market made brown bread with a though that you are eating Healthy whole wheat bread, then it’s not true. Just looks at the color and crumb of my homemade brown bread and 100% Whole wheat bread. You will realize both are totally different in texture as well as taste. And if you are fond of brown bread, then instead of buying it from market, just bake it at home. Homemade is always hygienic.
Homemade Brown Bread Vs. Whole Wheat Bread
Homemade Brown Bread Recipe
In a bowl take lukewarm water. Add sugar and yeast to it. Let it rest until it froths.
Meanwhile in a kneading bowl take refined wheat flour, whole wheat flour, salt and Molasses. Now add activated yeast solution and start kneading the dough by adding water little by little.
Once dough binds, add oil to it and knead it for 2-3 minutes. Now dough must be looking smooth and soft. So place it in a greased bowl and cover it with cling wrap. Let the bowl rest on counter until dough doubles in volume.
At my place the temperature is around, 24°C so the dough took almost 50 minutes to double. Warmer the place, lesser the time will be. But do not move to next step until volume is double.
Once dough is double, punch it and flatten it. Take it on counter for further shaping.
Roll the dough into a rectangular sheet. Now roll the dough sheet just like roulade and seal all the edges. Place the shaped dough into a greased loaf pan and close the lid. Let the dough rest on counter again until it doubles. For me it took 50-55 minutes.
After 40 minutes, take the loaf tin out from the oven and gently open the lid. I prefer baking sandwich bread in pullman tin to get perfect square however you can bake it without lid as well.
Demould the bread immediately and place it on wired rack. Let the bread rest for minimum 2 hrs before slicing. This is such a fuss-free recipe and easy to make with perfect results every time.
After 2 hrs slice the bread and serve it with your choice of topping. Well I like freshly baked brown bread with fresh homemade jams.
Enjoy your fresh homemade Subway Sandwich Bread and make delicious sandwiches.
For Recommended Tools and Ingredients visit my Amazon Shop Page.
- In a bowl take yeast, sugar, and 50 ml lukewarm water. Stir it and let it rest.
- Start kneading the dough by adding water little at a time.
- Once dough binds, add oil, and knead it for another 5 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and stretchable. Now keep it in a bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Let the dough rest until doubles in volume.
- Once the dough doubles, degas it and shape it into a rectangular sheet.
- Fold the dough sheet the way we roll roulad and seal all the edges.
- Place the shaped bread dough in a greased bread tin and cover with cling wrap.
- Let it rest until it reaches rim of the tin.
- Once dough reaches to r brush it with milk and bake in preheated oven at 200 °C for 40 min.
- After 40 min of baking, take the bread out from the oven and immediately unmould it.
- Place the bread on cooling rack and let it rest until comes to room temperature.
- When bread cools down, slice it and serve it.
- This is a tried and tested recipe. In case you want to change any ingredient, then the final outcome will also change.
- Every oven behaves differently and you are the best judge for your oven. So baking time can vary depending upon your oven size and model.
- You can adjust the servings of this recipe in the “Recipe Card” and all the ingredients and their measurement will automatically adjust.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
1. Anadama Bread from Passion Kneaded
2. Boston Brown Bread from Pastry Chef Online
3. Brown Sandwich Bread from Anybody Can Bake
4. Copy-Cat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
5. Copy-Cat Outback Steakhouse Bread from Making Miracles
6. Golden Braid of Bern from What Smells So Good?
7. Irish Brown Bread from Palatable Pastime
8. Molasses Rye Slider Buns from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
10. Single Rise Whole Wheat Bread from Sneha’s Recipe
12. Traditional Steamed Brown Bread from A Messy Kitchen
13. Whole Wheat Rolls from Magical Ingredients
14. Whole Wheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread from Ambrosia
15. Wholemeal Soda Bread from Food Lust People Love