Homemade Tutti Frutti is a sweet and colorful confectionery candied fruit mainly prepared from the raw papaya. These candid fruits also known as tutti frutti comes in various bright colors.
Irrespective of the age, tutti frutti is liked by everyone.
It can be used as topping on ice-creams or can be added to bakes.
If yes then you must have noticed me using homemade tutti frutti in those recipes. And in case you have not checked, I would recommend to.
The freshness, the vibrancy, and the taste, this homemade tutti frutti adds to the bakes is tremendous.
Tutti Frutti Recipe
What makes my tutti frutti recipe different is, I have not used raw papaya to make it. But it’s the best example of “Best out of waste”.
You must be thinking - How?
Well, I have used watermelon’s rind to make these amazing candid fruits.
Believe me, no one can guess the difference that after tasting it.
In today's recipe we will prepare tutti frutti, but not with raw papaya. We will be using waste portion of watermelon. Sound interesting, isn’t it?
Let's get started.
To make tutti frutti we need watermelon rind.
Just remove the green portion of the peel and clean it. We need only white portion of the rind.
After cleaning it, chop it into small size cubes. Do not keep the cube size large else it will take longer time to cook and dry.
Homemade Tutti Frutti Recipe
Here I have taken total 500 gm watermelon peel which I have diced into small cubes.
Now in a large vessel take 3 cup water and start boiling it. Add 250 gm sugar to it and let it dissolve completely. Keep stirring in-between.
When sugar dissolves, add chopped watermelon rind. Let it cook in sugar syrup.
Cover it with lid to fasten the cooking process. This way let it cook on medium flame for about 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, check if all the pieces are looking transparent or not. If not, cover it and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
If these are looking transparent and soft to touch, switch off the flame.
Take four different bowls and divide the cooked cubes into 4 portions. Add your choice of food grade color into each bowl and mix well.
Here I am using Green, Red, Blue and yellow color. I have used 1 tsp of each color because these are water based colors.
In case you are using gel colors then 1-2 drops of that is more than sufficient. Now let these rest for at least 4 hours.
After 4 hours of resting, the fruit has absorbed the color. Now remove the excess syrup and take each cultured fruit on a tray lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Place this tray under fan overnight or keep it in sun for a day. Let them dry completely.
So our tutti frutti is ready.
See how easy it was to make these color full candid fruits using waste portion of watermelon.
Store these in a glass jar. Best way to store this homemade tutti frutti is to keep it in refrigerator.
This way it lasts for weeks.
Now try this recipe and share your feedback. Till then happy baking!
Baking a picture perfect cake is everybody’s desire. And if you are a baking enthusiastic and trying to figure out where to start from then you must start with our 30 Days Baking Challenge Online Course.
This course does not just teach you recipes, rather it teaches you the science behind baking. This is a perfect way for a beginner to start learning and gain confidence in their baking.
You can also master the art of baking in just 30 days. Click here to know more.
Let me know your experience with the recipe in the comment box below. I will try to respond back as much as possible.
For Recommended Tools and Ingredients visit my Amazon Shop Page.
- 500 gm Watermelon Rind cubes
- 720 ml Water 3 cups
- 250 gm Sugar
- 1 tsp 4 different food colours 1 tsp of each color
- Remove the green portion of the peel and clean it. Cut it into small cubes.
- Now in a large vessel take3 cup water and start boiling it.
- Add 250 gm sugar to it and let it dissolve completely.
- Add chopped watermelon rind and Let it cook in sugar syrup for 15 min.
- After 15 minutes, switch off the flame.
- Divide the cooked cubes into 4 equal portions.
- Add your choice of colour to each bowl and let it rest for 4 hrs.
- Remove the excess syrup and take each coloured fruit on a tray.
- Let them dry completely.
- After drying the tutti frutti is ready.
- Store it in refrigerator in a glass jar/container.
- Every ingredient in the recipe and its quantity has its own significance. Do not alter them.
- This recipe is a tried and tested recipe. Substitute the ingredient/s only at your own risk.
- You can adjust the servings of this recipe in the “Recipe Card” and all the ingredients and their measurement will automatically adjust.