Morning and evening tea without Cookies seems impossible, at least to my husband Amit.
The story rolls backs to when I was not really into baking, my journey to home baking is really exciting. You will be surprised to know that until 2015 I did not even have the oven. I was contemplating of making cookies but had no clue how to make cookies without oven.
Soon after my child exams were over, we visited my Mom’s place. It is always so refreshing to be back with your Mom. This time my younger was also there and my Mom refreshed our childhood memory by making a Malai Cake.
This cake used to be our childhood best companion. And my Mom always made it in a pressure cooker. And I was like, how can I forget this recipe.
I became confident that she would know how to bake cookies without oven or microwave. So, I picked her brain and Basics of Baking and experimented the recipe at home.
Quick Notes if you are Baking in an Oven
|Tin Size||Baking Tray 10″|
|Oven Temp||160° C|
|Baking Time||18 minutes|
|MW Convection Temp||150° C|
|Baking Time||18 minutes|
|Cooling Time||15 minutes|
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Eggless Cookies without Oven
So I learned the recipe of how to make cookies in the pressure cooker from my Mom. And trust me it’s a fairly simple and straightforward recipe that each of you can do in no time. I have used tutti frutti in these cookies.
Baking is heaven, I realized its lot of benefits only after I started baking at home.
Cookies without Oven
In a mixing bowl add whole wheat flour, organic sugar, baking powder, and ghee (clarified butter). Start mixing all the ingredient until you get a breadcrumb like texture. Add tutti frutti and 2 tbs milk to bind the dough.
Tip: Do not knead it else the flour will develop gluten and you will get chewy cookies.
Cover the dough with cling wrap and rest the prepared dough in the refrigerator for 30 min. After 30 minutes, take the dough out from the refrigerator and using a rolling pin roll out it into a sheet of a ¼ inch thickness.
How to bake cookies in Pressure Cooker or Idli Maker
Meanwhile, keep idli maker on a gas stove. Add salt to it and spread it evenly. Close the lid and let it heat on a medium flame for 15 minutes. Grease all the idli trays.
Using a cookie cutter cut cookies out of the rolled sheet.
Place these cookies on idli plates and place the idli stand inside idli maker. Close the lid and let the cookies bake on slow to medium flame.
It took approximately 25- 30 minutes to bake perfect cookies.
Tip: Just keep a watch. The moment edges of the cookies turn brown, switch off the flame.
Place all the baked cookies on a wired rack and let them cool completely.
Your no oven cookies are ready to be served.
Like to watch Video Recipes, subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder in a bowl. Add clarified butter (ghee)
- Mix everything to get a breadcrumb like texture. Add tutti fruity and milk to bind the dough.
- Keep the dough in the refrigerator covered with a cling wrap for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take the dough out of the refrigerator. Roll the dough into a sheet of thickness ¼ inch.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the cookies out of it and place these on greased Idli molds.
- Meanwhile, preheat the idli cooker with salt as a base.
- Now place the stand, loaded with cookies in an Idli cooker and cover with a lid.
- Let it bake for 25-30 minutes on a medium to low flame.
- When edges turn golden, turn off the flame and keep the cookies on a wired rack to cool down.
- The healthy, delicious Cookies are ready.
- Every ingredient in the recipe and its quantity has its own significance. Do not alter them.
- This recipe is a tried and tested recipe. Substitute the ingredient/s only at your own risk.
- You can adjust the servings of this recipe in the “Recipe Card” and all the ingredients and their measurement will automatically adjust.
- To switch between grams and cups, use this “Conversion Chart”.
- In Cookies, vegetable oil and butter are not interchangeable. Butter not only provide fat to the cookies but also provide structure. Vegetable oil stays fluid in nature and hence will fail to give structure to your cookies.
- Do not knead the dough else it will develop the gluten that will result in soft and chewy cookies.
- Do not miss to refrigerate the cookie dough. This will avoid cookies spreading while baking.
- I have an Idli maker with 5 trays. To avoid burning off the cookies, I have only used to top 4 trays.
- I have used 1 kg of regular cooking salt to make the base in the Idli maker.
- The salt can be reused multiple times, hence you can store it.