Subway is an American restaurant franchise that primarily sells sandwiches and salads. Subway Sandwich Bread is famous across the globe. My family is not different and loves to have subway sandwiches at any time of the day.
I am crazy about bread and more so baking my bread at home. I love to ensure that my family is eating hygienic and preservative-free bread. And this gives me immense pleasure to bake for my family.
Homemade Subway Bread
I know many would think that it’s so easy to place an order and enjoy the subway whenever you want.
But believe me guys, the Homemade Subway Sandwich Bread is just so perfect with a soft buttery crust and spongy crumb that you will never like to order again from Subway.
Try this recipe and I bet, your family will be amazed at your skills and all you will get tons of praises.
Let’s get started!
Want to get growing?
Starting and growing a business can be hard, and sometimes you might feel stuck. Our weekly newsletter gets delivered to over 30,000 people each week to help them grow. We'd love to help you, too. Subscribe now, it's free.
We respect your privacy and promise to only send you the freshest baking news. No spam, ever. You can unsubscribe at any time.
MW Convection Temp
Subway Sandwich Bread Recipe
Here we start with subway bread recipe. In a bowl add yeast and sugar. Add some lukewarm milk to it, stir it and let it rest until yeast blooms. You can use water as well but I felt this bread taste better with milk.
In a kneading bowl, take refined flour, salt, and activated yeast solution. Start kneading the dough by adding room temperature milk little by little.
Prepare a soft and sticky dough. For this recipe, I have consumed in a total of 250 ml milk (including the milk used for yeast activation). However, the amount can vary depending upon your flour quality.
Once dough binds, add 2 tbsp olive oil and continue to knead for another two minutes.The dough will become soft and smooth. Keep it in a bowl and cover the bowl with cling wrap or clean kitchen towel.
Leave it on the warmer place of your kitchen until it becomes double in volume.
For me, the dough took 40 minutes to double as the temperature at my place these days is between 20 °C to 22 °C. Colder the weather, longer the proofing time will be. You just need to wait until your dough double.
Once the dough doubles, punch it and take it out on the counter. I divided the dough into 3 equal portions to make 3 subway sandwich bread loaves of 9’ inches each.
You can keep the portion size as per your requirement. There is no hard and fast rule for that. Keep it simple.
Because it was afternoon here and the temperature is now around 25 °C so this time dough took only 30 minutes to rise. I was happy to see my swollen loaves, sorry I mean risen loaves.
Let’s bake our subway sandwich bread
Using a knife, score the bread, and brush it with milk. Bake these loaves in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, take the baked bread out from the oven and transfer it on a cooling rack. Brush the bread crust with butter if you like soft crust. In case you like rustic bread, skip brushing with butter.
Let the bread rest for 30 minutes.
Once bread comes to the room temperature, slice it lengthwise and fill it with your choice of stuffing and sauces.
Enjoy your fresh homemade Subway Sandwich Bread and make delicious sandwiches.
For Recommended Tools and Ingredients visit my Amazon Shop Page.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
- Eggless White Sandwich Bread by Sneha’s Recipe
- Farmhouse White Sandwich Bread by Making Miracles
- Just Bread Sandwich Loaf by A Messy Kitchen
- Pain de Mie aka Pullman Loaf by Food Lust People Love
- Seeded Sandwich Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Burger Buns by Cook with Renu
- Sourdough Discard Sandwich Bread by Ambrosia
- Sourdough Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Struan Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Subway Sandwich Bread by Anybody Can Bake
- In a bowl take yeast, sugar and lukewarm milk. Dissolve and let it froth.
- In a kneading bowl, take flour, salt, and yeast solution. Start kneading the dough with milk
- Add olive oil and knead for another 2 minutes
- Keep the dough in a bowl and cover it. Let it rest until dough doubles.
- Once dough doubles, punch it and divide it into three equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a loaf and place on a baking tray by leaving some space in-between.
- Cover the tray and let it rest until the shaped bread dough becomes double again.
- Brush therisen dough with milk and make some cuts using a sharp knife.
- Bake it in a preheated ovenat 200 C for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take the breadout from the oven and brush with butter.
- Let the bread rest for 30 minutes and then slice and make sandwiches.