Roasted Semolina with Wheat Bran
Semolina got its name from the Italian word Semola, meaning Bran. I have been experimenting with Semolina Bread and Semolina Cake. Raw semolina gets infected with worms easily. I roast the semolina before I store it to increase its shelf life. I recently found Roasted Semolina with Wheat Bran by FoodThink on Amazon. It immediately attracted my attention for two reasons.
- Roasted semolina meant higher shelf life
- This semolina had added goodness of Wheat Bran.
Both were good enough reasons to call for testing this Roasted Semolina with wheat bran.
This roasted semolina with wheat bran has wheat endosperm and parts of the wheat grain. FoodThink roasted semolina is medium coarse semolina with golden brown texture. The product came in durable packaging. The wheat semolina comes in a zip lock bag under a hardcover box. The ziplock bag ensures easy storage of the product.
Nutritional Analysis per 100g (source: https://foodthink.in/roasted-semolina)
* Wheat Semolina is NOT gluten-free.
Benefits of Roasted Semolina
- Semolina is made from wheat, that takes time to digest. This helps you feel full longer and prevents you from overeating.
- Semolina is a good source of two vital vitamins: E and the B group. Both as we know, are essential for good immunity from disease.
- For those who lead an active lifestyle, semolina is a quick and nourishing source of energy.
- Semolina improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- High iron content keeps bones strong and helps to beat anemia.
- Bran is a rich source of fiber and aids in digestion.
- The low glycemic index makes it ideal for people with high blood sugar.
- The trace minerals in semolina, such as phosphorus, zinc, and magnesium, are beneficial for the health of your bones and nervous system.
- Higher shelf life than raw semolina
We tried testing this product by making savory semolina muffin recipe. The recipe came out perfect in the first go. In our recipe, we soaked the semolina with water and oil. After soaking the moisture semolina become soft. When we baked the batter, the outer layer became crispy and the crumb was extremely moist. Semolina doesn’t have its own flavor but how wonderfully it absorbs the flavor of other ingredients used with it, defines its quality. This roasted semolina with wheat bran by Foodthink absorbed all the flavors while used with vegetables and spices. Finally, the muffins came out with a soft and spongy texture. After 2 hours of resting time, the muffins became softer.
I am extremely happy with the results of this semolina and recommend you to try this. You may buy roasted semolina from Amazon. The company also make Toasted Wheat Germ and Superfine Wheat Bran. I also plan to test these two items in the coming few days and will share the results with you all.
Till then Happy Healthy Baking.