Christmas and winters literally translate to eat something sweet and warm. Nothing makes your body feel better than this. When it’s chilling outside, sugar and warm food both help you keeping warm from within. This easy Apple Pie recipe, Americans favorite dessert, is a perfect blend of a warm and sweet dessert.
Look around you and you will find that most of the winter foods are rich in fat and loaded with spices that give warmth to your body. And today, we will make this easy homemade apple pie recipe from scratch.
Apple Pie Recipe from Scratch
Apple pie is basically a fruit tart that has apple as its main ingredient. Typically, it is served with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream. The apple pie crust is a double layered pastry sheet baked with the stuffing of half cooked apples.
Best Apple Pie Recipe
The apple pie filling recipe is made by cooking diced apple, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon powder together. To avoid the apple pie crust from getting soggy, the bottom layer is initially baked for a while before adding apple pie filling into it. The top layer can be of any design based upon Baker’s choice. Try this best apple pie recipe today and your young and adult kids will love you for this delicacy.
|Recommended Read: French Pastry Millefeuille
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Let’s make our Easy Apple Pie
To prepare the crust, in a mixing bowl add flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
Mix it well until it resembles breadcrumbs.
To prepare the stuffing, in a pan add diced apple, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon powder. Cook for few minutes until apple is half done. Take out this mixture in a bowl and let it cool completely.
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a sheet about ¼ inch in thickness. Cut circular discs out of it (larger than the diameter of pie pan). Brush each pie mold with butter. Transfer these cut-outs into a greased pie tins.
Cut all the edges to get neat pie. Using a fork, prick the crust well. Bake them in preheated oven for 8-10 min. After 8 minutes, take the molds out from the oven.
Fill the stuffing. Cover the top with another layer of pie crust (Dough). Brush with Milk and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
When baked, take the apple pies out of oven, de-mold, dust some sugar and serve.
|Recommended Read: Baked Honey Sweet Potato Salad
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
Tart Mould | Oven | Oven Gloves | Cinnamon Powder | Brown Sugar
For Pastry Dough
- To prepare the crust, In a mixing bowl add flour, sugar, salt and butter. Mix it well until it resembles bread crumb.
- Add cold water and combine all the ingredients. Prepare a tight dough and let this dough rest in refrigerator. Do not knead the dough.
- To prepare the stuffing, in a pan add diced apple, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Cook for few minutes until apple is half done.
- Take out this mixture in a bowl and let it cool completely.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a sheet about ¼ inch in thickness. Cut circular discs out of it.
- Transfer these cut-outs into a greased pie tins and finish all the edges to get neat pie.
- Prick all-over lightly with fork. Bake them in preheated oven for 8-10 min.
- After 8 minutes, take the mould out and put the stuffing. Cover the top with another layer of pie crust (Dough).
- Brush with Milk and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- When baked, take out from oven, de-mould, dust some icing sugar and serve.
- Always use cold butter to make the pie crust.
- Do no knead the dough. Kneading can form the gluten hence result is chewy crust.
- Use only unsalted butter for the recipe.
- After preparing the dough, resting it in refrigerator is very important. It makes easy to handle the dough.
- You can use caramelised bananas, blueberries or any other fruit as stuffing.
- To prepare icing sugar, powder 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of cornflour, together.