Whether it’s an eggless chocolate cake, chocolate muffin or an eggless Choco chip cookie, my love for chocolate is never-ending. Moreover, the same love got transferred in my Ladoo as well. I know how much fascinated Ladoo is for chocolate tarts. He has asked a bunch of time in the past to make an eggless chocolate tart for him. However, I was somewhat afraid to give it a shot. His constant push asked me to pick courage and try this eggless chocolate tarts recipe.
What is a tart?
A tart is a baked dish consisting of a filling over a shortcrust pastry base with an open top not covered with pastry. The smaller size of a tart is referred to as Tartlet. Though it originated in France but has spread to other countries over the years.
Chocolate tart or chocolate cream pie is a dessert consisting of dark chocolate, cream, and eggs. A smooth consistency of all three ingredients is poured into a crisp, unsweetened pastry shell and baked until firm.
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Eggless Chocolate Tart Recipe
All I could find on the internet were recipes of egg-based chocolate tart. After a lot of research, and not finding what I needed, I thought of experimenting myself. I made some changes in a regular chocolate tart recipe. Eliminated eggs, replaced all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour and used honey in the recipe. Used dark chocolate for the filling and added honey to get sweetness. And finally, I had my eggless chocolate tart recipe ready.
Let’s Make Chocolate Tart
In a bowl, take soft butter (not melted) and organic brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar mixture using whisker or spatula or hand. Continue to do this until the mixture becomes fluffy.
Add chocolate essence and honey. Mix it well. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder together.
Knead it into a dough. Add milk 1 tbs at a time to bind the flour. Prepare a soft dough from it. Place this prepared dough on a butter paper and roll it into a sheet of thickness ¼ inch.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180 °C. Grease the tart molds and lightly dust with some flour. Press the prepared dough into greased tartlet molds. Prick the tarts and bake in preheated oven at 170 °C for 15 minutes.
Once baked, take the tartlets out from the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes. De-mold them and place of a wired rack. Allow the tarts to cool completely.
To prepare the chocolate filling, in a pan heat fresh cream and butter. Bring it to boil. Turn of the flame. Add chopped chocolate and honey. Mix it well until you get a smooth batter. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool for 30 minutes. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
Assembling the tart
Using a piping bag, fill the chocolate mixture into prepared tartlet cases. Sprinkle some silver sugar balls (sprinklers) and serve.
These lovely little Eggless Chocolate Tart are great with noon tea. I love to serve chocolate tarts with freshly baked chocolate cookies.
If you like my recipes, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. If you like to watch video recipes, check my YouTube Channel for more amazing recipes.
- 100 gm Whole Wheat Flour
- 60 gm Butter
- 60 gm Organic Brown Sugar
- 20 gm Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbs Honey
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3 tbs Milk
- 1 tsp Chocolate Essence
- 125 gm Dark Chocolate
- 60 gm Fresh Cream
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 tbs Honey
- In a bowl, take soft butter and organic brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add chocolate essence and honey. Mix it well.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together
- Knead it into a dough. Add milk 1 tbs at a time to bind the flour. Prepare a soft dough from it.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- Grease the tart moulds and lightly dust with some flour. Press the prepared dough into greased tartlet moulds.
- Prick the tartlet and bake in preheated oven at 170 °C for 15 minutes
- To prepare the chocolate filling, in a pan heat fresh cream and butter. Bring it to boil. Turn of the flame. Add chopped chocolate and honey. Mix it well until you get a smooth batter.
- Set aside to cool for 30 minutes. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Using a piping bag, fill the chocolate mixture into prepared tartlet cases.
- Sprinkle some silver sugar balls (sprinklers) and serve.
- To prepare the dough the butter should be at room temperature.
- Tarts will be soft when hot. Once completely cool they will become crisp.
- After preparing the chocolate filling, it is very important to let it cool completely. Else you will not get perfect texture while piping it into tartlet.
- If the dough is little dry, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time of kneading.
- If the dough is too soft, refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes. It will help to handle the dough later on
- You can use regular white sugar in case don’t have brown sugar.
- I have used unsweetened cocoa powder and Lindt 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. I added honey or sugar to the recipe to give it sweetness. However if you are using chocolate compound, then no need to add honey while preparing chocolate filling.
- Do not add salt if you are using salted butter.
Can i just add an egg if I want to.
You can absolutely.
for such a nice recipes
Pleasure is all mine.
Looks delicious. Will try it out soon. Do you have to use the top n bottom heat of the oven at the same time. Pls reply
Hi Claudette, Yes you are correct, you should use top and bottom heat of the oven to bake tarts.
Good one.wl surely try it
Such an awesome recipe! I love anything with chocolate so I’ll be trying this recipe this weekend.
Thanks much. Please share your feedback and photograph of your recipe on our FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonlicious/