Exam time means long study spells and that needs a lot of concentration. The health needs to stay intact during the exam time. Parents need to be really careful about the food their kids eat during the exam time. I believe in my easy chocolate chip cookies recipe for my ladoo during his exam time snacking.
Most mothers pick wafers and frozen items for snacking purposes and compromise with health.
My chewy chocolate chip cookies recipe comes as a rescue.
You know that I am a constant advocate of developing early age healthy eating habits.
|Recommended Read: Honey Glazed Almonds
Wheat Germ Chocolate Chip Cookies
You need some food that helps your child study well and keep him energized. This healthy whole wheat cookie with honey, flax seed, wheat germ, and Choco chips makes a perfect companion during the study time. “Journal of School Health” in April 2008, found a positive link between a diet rich in nutritious food, including whole grains, and positive academic performance.
This recipe has four superfoods:
Whole wheat: This provides the necessary glucose to the brain. The stabilized source of energy to a child’s brain helps them focus on study. Read the benefits of whole wheat at wholegrainscouncil.org.
Honey: It is tremendous in preventing metabolic stress and achieves restful sleep. I have explained the benefits of honey in my recipe of almonds glazed with honey.
Flaxseed: It is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acid. Omega 3 fatty acid is helpful in managing attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Benefits of Flax seeds are explained beautifully on WebMD.
Toasted Wheat Germ: Wheat germ is full of protein and fiber. The vitamins (B1 and B6) help proper mood chemicals. Organic facts list down the benefits of wheat germ.
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Let’s make eggless healthy chocolate chip cookies
In a bowl, dissolve flax seed powder into 3 tbs of water and set aside for 5 minutes.
In another bowl add whole wheat flour, wheat germ, butter, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Mix everything well until you get a crumbly mixture. Do not over knead the dough.
Now add honey, flax seed solution, and 1 tsp of the chocolate essence to the crumbled mixture. Combine all these and make a dough.
Add chocolate chips to the dough and place the prepared dough into refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Keeping the dough in the refrigerator helps to stabilize the butter. After shaping when cookies will go into the oven, they will get enough time to rise. Whereas if you will bake cookies immediately after kneading the dough, cookies will spread, instead of rising, because of the melted butter.
Let’s bake our easy chocolate chip cookies
Keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C.
Now divide the dough into 16 equal parts and shape each of them. Roll each portion into a smooth round ball and slightly flatten it.
I like my cookies to be soft and chewy so I purposely shaped them thick. Place the shaped cookies on a baking tray leaving some space in-between.
Tip: Spread parchment paper before placing the cookies on the tray. Your cookies will not stick with the baking tray during baking.
Bake these shaped cookies in a preheated oven at 160 °C for 18 min or until the edges turn golden. Once done take out the cookies out from the oven.
Place the cookies on a wired rack for some time and allow them to cool completely.
As I said earlier, I like my cookies to be soft and chewy. I got the perfect texture of my choice with this recipe. Once cool completely store these cookies in an airtight container. These are my award-winning chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
- In a bowl, dissolve flax seed powder into 3 tbs of water and set aside.
- In another bowl, add whole wheat flour, wheat germ, butter, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Mix everything well until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Add honey, prepared flaxseed solution, and 1 tsp of the chocolate essence to the crumbled mixture. Combine all these and make a dough.
- Add chocolate chips to the dough and place the prepared dough into refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal parts and shape each.
- Place the shaped cookies on a baking tray leaving some space in-between.
- Bake these shaped cookies in a preheated oven at 160 °C for 18 min or until the edges turn golden.
- Once done take out the cookies out from the oven.
- Place the cookies on a wired rack for some time and allow them to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely store these cookies in an airtight container.
- I have used wheat germ for this recipe, in case you don’t have wheat germ, add 50 gm of wheat flour or oats. Rest of the recipe will remain same.
- To make the recipe healthier I have added honey. You can substitute honey with 30 gm of brown/white sugar.
- Baking time depends upon the shape. Thicker the cookies, more time required to bake.
- You can replace flax seed solution with an egg.
- Skip adding salt if you are using salted Butter.