Coconut Macaroons are small cookies made from coconut. The name of these cookies came from the Italian word “Maccarone” which means paste. Typically these are made with egg white and almond flour. But with time almond flour got replaced with coconut and/or other nuts.
As much as these coconut macaroons are delicious, there is an interesting story too behind these cookies. The traces of Macaroons are dated back to the 9th century in an Italian monastery. In 1533, the monks came to France and joined a pastry chef. Sooner Sister Marguerite and Sister Marie-Elisabeth joined the monks in France. They started baking Macaroons to earn their livelihood. Later, they became famous as the “Macaroon sisters”.
Italian Jews adopted these Macaroons because of the absence of leavening agent and flour. They could eat these Coconut Macaroons during the eight-day observation of Passover.
Check my other healthy cookie recipes:
Eggless Coconut Macaroons
To make these coconut macaroons all we need 3 ingredients: Coconut, condensed milk, and essence for flavor. Yes, you read it right, 3 ingredients are all you need. Easy to make and divine to eat these eggless coconut macaroons are truly amazing. I have used Roasted sweet almond flavor from Fab Flavours to give that authentic flavor to coconut macaroons.
What I like most about these coconut macaroons are,
- These are flourless.
- These cookies do not need Baking powder or Baking soda.
- These have no butter, no oil.
- These are eggless.
- These cookies do not need any prior preparations.
- These are so easy to make that even kids in the family can also bake these.
PS: Use conversion table to switch recipe between grams and cups
|Oven Temp||180 °C|
|Baking Time||15 min|
|MW Convection Temp||160 °C|
|Baking Time||15 min|
|Cooling Time||10 min|
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Coconut Macaroons Recipe
Keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, add coconut, condensed milk, and almond essence. For this recipe, I have used Homemade condensed milk that was without refined sugar. But you can use regular market one.
Mix everything until condensed milk and coconut are completely mixed. The mixture will be little sticky but not wet.
Note: Do not add milk or any other liquid.
Divide the mixture into 9 equal portions. Gently shape them into a rounded mound to form classic macaroon shape.
Place them on a baking tray by leaving some space in-between.
Bake in the preheated oven at 180 °C for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
When baked, remove from the oven and transfer baked coconut macaroons on a cooling rack. Allow them to cool.
Personally, I like to have these coconut macaroons while they are still warm, I like their chewy texture.
Our eggless coconut macaroons are ready to delight everyone. Store them in an airtight container. These stay good for 7 days.
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe[amazon_link asins=’B0014UFUKA,B00O8X9B3W,B06XZG9NFJ,B015J8UU9I,B00UX7644Q’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’sonlicious-21′ marketplace=’IN’ link_id=’e7674bf9-8c0d-11e8-acae-e1c84d28a0e7′]
- 1 Cup Coconut Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Condensed Milk
- 1/4 tsp Roasted Almond Essence Fav Flavours
- Keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add coconut, condensed milk, and Almond essence. Mix everything.
- Divide the mixture into 9 equal portions.
- Gently shape them into rounded mound.
- Place them on baking tray by leaving some space in-between.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 °C for 15 minutes.
- When baked, remove the coconut macaroons from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Allow the cookies to cool.
- Do not add any additional liquid like milk or oil.
- Don’t add Baking powder or baking soda as it is not required.
- This recipe is safe and perfect for people who are allergic to gluten.
- If you want to increase the sweetness, you can add 1 tbs of sugar.