Blindly in love coffee and date are known as a pair made in heaven. When you bind them together in a cake the marriage is called coffee date cake. In today’s recipe, I have used the lovebirds, put them in a cake, but with a healthy twist.
Between me and my wife, there is a never-ending conflict between tea and coffee. I am for tea and she is for coffee. But this coffee date cake brings the never-ending conflict between us. I can now sip a cuppa of ginger tea while biting this extraordinary delicious coffee date cake.
The coffee Date Cake recipe
The recipe uses whole wheat and dates and both of these ingredients makes this cake an extremely healthy cake. I have written a complete article on the benefits of dates and I recommend reading it.
My love for dates is never-ending.
I added coffee decoction to blend the rich taste of coffee in this eggless date cake with wheat flour.
A coffee decoction is a liquid we get after straining boiled coffee grounds. In general, people us a coffee filter to prepare this decoction. But in case you don’t have a coffee filter, there is nothing to worry. You can prepare it without using any coffee filter. Continue to read to learn how to prepare coffee decoction without a coffee filter.
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
Coffee decoction for Coffee Date Cake
In a pan take 3/4 cup (approximately 180 ml) water. Boil it. Add 3 tablespoons of grounded coffee powder. Boil it for 2 minutes. Cover it with lid and turn off the flame. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Cover a bowl with a clean muslin cloth. Pour the prepared solution over the muslin cloth and let it strain through it.
Once you get the strained solution in a bowl, discard the residuals left on the muslin cloth. The coffee decoction is ready for your eggless dates cake recipe.
Let’s make the coffee date cake
In a bowl add oil, brown sugar, milk, coffee decoction, and vanilla essence. Mix it until sugar dissolves. I preferred organic brown sugar over refined white sugar. The brown sugar is relatively healthier than regular white sugar. It also helps in enhancing the color of the cake.
With the help of a sieve, sift the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Sifting not only helps to remove the unwanted particles but also aerates the dry ingredients. It helps to raise the cake and makes it spongy.
Gently fold all the dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Add chopped dates and mix them into the batter. There should be no lumps in the batter. The batter should be smooth and of pouring consistency.
Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating at 180 °C for about 10 minutes. Once the batter is ready, pour the batter into a baking tin (line it with parchment paper).
In the absence of parchment paper, you can brush the baking tin with butter and sprinkle some dry flour. This will help to de-mould the cake easily.
Pour the batter into a baking tin and tab it on the counter to release the air bubbles. Sprinkle some chocolate chips and put this baking tin into the oven. Let is bake at 180 °C for 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
After baking for 30 minutes, take out the cake from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Now, de-mold the cake and keep it on a wire rack.
Once the cake comes to room temperature, cut it and serve it.
A Common Myth
Many people think that cakes with whole wheat are generally dense and not as spongy as cakes with all purpose flour.
Bake this cake, you will stop using all purpose flour for your cakes. This cake is eggless, extremely moist, spongy, healthy and full of flavors. This Coffee date cake with whole wheat is a heavenly treat for coffee lovers.
Don’t miss to try this recipe. If you like the recipe then share your love with me by subscribing to my YouTube channel.
Watch the making of Coffee Date Cake
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
- 250 gm Wheat Flour
- 125 gm Brown Sugar
- 100 ml Oil
- 250 ml Milk
- 100 ml Brewed Coffee Coffee decoction
- 20 pcs Dates deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a bowl add Oil, Brown sugar, Milk, Coffee decoction and Vanilla essence. Mix it until sugar dissolves.
- With the help of a sieve, sift the Whole wheat flour, Baking soda, Baking powder and Salt altogether.
- Gently fold all the dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Add chopped dates and mix them.
- Meanwhile, Put the Oven for preheating at 180 °C for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a baking tin and tab it on counter to release the air bubbles. Sprinkle some chocolate chips.
- Bake at 180 °C for 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- After baking for 30 minutes, take out the cake from oven.
- Once cake comes to room temperature, de-mould it. Cut it and serve it.
- This Coffee and date cake with whole wheat is a heavenly treat for coffee lovers.
- In case you don’t have grounded coffee to prepare coffee decoction, then use 3 tablespoons of Instant coffee powder.
- You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Prefer to use fresh brewed coffee to have rich flavor of coffee in the cake.
- If you prefer using eggs, skip milk and use 2 large size eggs.