Mumma, what is this Halloween all about and why everybody is buying those scary costumes. What’s fun here? – My inquisitive ladoo had so many questions as this is the first time he was witnessing the arrangements of Halloween get-together.
I could have avoided the question as I was busy with my recipe, but then I decided to answer him. As a parent it is our first duty to respond to our children question, this helps in making a better bond with the child. So I explained.
What? Scare the ghost?.. and ladoo started laughing.
Yes, and it all started in the eighth century when Pope Gregory III announced 1st November to honor all saints. And an evening before was then known as “All Hallows Eve” and later “Halloween”.
Hmmmm… so what’s exciting for me in this? Garv was trying to find his fun quotient here.
Go, find a costume, a scary one. Go to people house, scare them, they will give you chocolates and candies.
And that is it, he was on his toes, anything for chocolates 🙂
If you prefer watching video recipe, here is the Pumpkin dinner roll recipe video for you
When my ladoo was planning with his friends for costumes and other stuff for Halloween day, I quickly baked these Pumpkin dinner rolls to treat all of them. Forget about costumes, all the little ghosts ate all of these pumpkins.
Well, it’s time for you to make this super recipe and delight those little small ghosts ringing your doorbells.
Let’s get started.
Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Before we start my first tip is to use a Kitchen Weighing Scale for measuring ingredients. This helps in getting the desired results.
If you still like to work with cup measurements, use a Kitchen Weighing Scale to switch recipe between grams and cups
|Baking Time||20 min|
|MW Convection Temp||180 °C|
|Baking Time||20 min|
|Cooling Time||10 min|
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
The ingredients for this recipe are
- Whole wheat flour
- Yeast, Sugar
- Pumpkin puree
To get good results I used Kitchen Weighing Scale. I have used homemade Pumpkin Puree. It’s quite easy to make.
How to make Pumpkin Puree
Peel the red pumpkin and cut it into small pieces. You can use regular pumpkin as well but the red pumpkin will give that beautiful golden color and natural sweetness to the Pumpkin shaped dinner rolls.
Now in a pan boil some water. Add chopped pumpkin pieces to hot water and cook for 5 min. Now stain the pumpkin and let it come to room temperature.
Using a mixer grinder, make a paste of the cooked pumpkin. Our pumpkin puree is ready.
You will also like the following recipes
- Stuffed Dinner Roll Recipe
- Braided Nutella Rolls – Kids love this recipe
- Cheese Pizza Rolls – Showstopper in any home get together
- Breakfast Roll Recipe – Quick and neat breakfast to grab while you are on the move
Dough for Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
The first step is to activate the yeast. For this, in a bowl take yeast, sugar and lukewarm water. Stir it and let it rest for 5 minutes or until it froths. That froth is a sign of yeast activation.
On the other side, in a kneading bowl add flour and salt. Add activated yeast solution and pumpkin puree. Mix everything and start kneading the dough by adding water little at a time. We need soft, little sticky dough.
Add one tablespoon oil to the dough. Knead it for a minute or two. I haven’t kneaded the dough much and preferred to rest and let the Mother Nature work. Just cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest until it becomes double in volume.
How much time the dough will take to rise, completely depends on the temperature at your place. Presently, the temperature at my place is between 30 °C – 35 °C. So the dough doubled in 40 minutes.
Once the dough doubles in volume, punch it and release the air and then take it out on a lightly floured surface.
Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Shape each dough portion round like a ball. We will now shape the dough portions into pumpkin shaped dinner rolls.
I have used two different techniques to shape. To check “How to shape” please watch my Kitchen Weighing Scale.
In the first technique, make a smooth dough ball and then using a thread knot the dough ball in a way that it is making 6 equal portions of the dough.
In the second technique, I have used scissors. Again make a dough ball and then using scissors, cut the outer surface a little deep from 6 to 8 equidistant place on the dough ball.
Similarly, shape all the buns.
Let’s bake our Pumpkin shaped Dinner Rolls
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place all the shaped pumpkin buns on it by leaving some gap in-between. Cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rest until they double in volume.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 200°C for 10 minutes. After the second rise, brush the pumpkin buns with milk and bake them at 200°C for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes take the tray out from the oven. Rest the baked pumpkin dinner rolls for 5 minutes.
PS: Many people ask me about the oven they should buy. Reading my detailed post “Best Oven to buy” will help in your decision making.
Now using a scissors cut and remove the thread from the buns. Our super healthy and delicious Pumpkin dinner rolls are ready to tickle your taste buds.
Serve these healthy and delicious Pumpkin dinner rolls to your guests with soup or salad. I am sure the only thing you are going to get in return is lots of appreciation. Oh, come on! No need to say thanks to me for this.
You can just drop your suggestions and messages for me in comment sections. I will wait to hear from you.
- To make Pumpkin Puree, peel the red pumpkin and cut it into small pieces.
- Now in a pan boil some water.
- Add chopped pumpkin pieces to hot water and cook for 5 min.
- Now stain the pumpkin and let it come to room temperature. Then make a paste of it using a mixer grinder.
- To activate the yeast, in a bowl take yeast, sugar and lukewarm water.
- Stir it and let it rest for 5 minutes or until it froths.
- In a kneading bowl add flour and salt.
- Add activated yeast solution and pumpkin puree.
- Mix everything and start kneading the dough by adding water little at a time.
- Add one tablespoon oil to the dough. Knead it for a minute or two.
- Cover the bowl with clean kitchen towel and let the dough rest until it doubles in volume.
- When dough becomes double in volume, punch it to release the air and divide it into 8 equal portions.
- For first shaping technique, make a smooth dough ball and then using a thread knot the dough ball in a way that it is making 6 equal portions of the dough.
- For the second technique, I used scissors. Again make a dough ball and then using scissors, cut the outer surface a little deep from 6 to 8 equidistant place on the dough ball.
- Place all the shaped dough balls on a baking tray by leaving some space in-between.
- Cover with kitchen towel and let rest until doubles.
Baking the Pumpkin Dinner Roll
- Preheat the oven at 200°C.
- Brush the buns with milk before baking and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- When baked take the pumpkin rolls out from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Using scissors cut the thread and serve healthy pumpkin rolls.
- You can use other varieties of pumpkin as well in case red pumpkin is not available.
- Always add water little by little. It helps to manage the dough.
- Water amount can vary based upon the quality of flour you are using.
- Resting time depends upon weather conditions. So rest your dough until it doubles in volume.
- For this tried and tested recipe, please don’t ask for any substitutes as it can change the final result.
- You can experiment with the recipe and feel free to share with us.