Semolina used in making Semolina bread is made from Durum wheat. It is commercial wheat and is widely grown these days. Durum is a Latin word that means “hard”. Durum wheat is the hardest wheat within all available species of wheat.
Semolina is the hard grain left after the milling of the wheat flour. People make pudding and rice using Semolina flour. You can also find Semolina from other grains such as rice and maize.
Is Semolina Bread Healthy?
Let me reiterate. Durum wheat is the hardest of all its species and makes Semolina. Because of its hardness, it takes time to get digest and moreover, Semolina has a low glycemic index.
Semolina helps in weight loss and controls blood sugar. Semolina bread is good for diabetic people as well. Durum flour is high in gluten protein and fiber.
Why Semolina mix flour bread?
A combination of Whole Wheat, All-Purpose and Semolina make this combination. Semolina and Whole wheat help keeping the bread healthy whereas the all-Purpose gives the necessary softness.
A bread from pure semolina will have a winey aroma, which some people might not like. Also, it is a little difficult to handle a 100% semolina bread because of the extra soft nature of the semolina. Semolina is rough when raw and after cooking it becomes extremely soft like butter.
How to make Easy Semolina Bread ?
I strongly believe that Baking is an addiction. It works like a stress buster for me. I thoroughly enjoy each and every moment spent in the kitchen while baking. I think it is with everyone who likes to bake and loves the aroma of baked goodies.
Almost every day I am on a spree of experimenting my old recipes with the latest twist to better them. My last experiment on Tangzhong method Bread was hugely appreciated and one of my most like recipe. Time again for a new experiment.
This semolina bread recipe, again, is very simple. One can easily bake it without prior experience in bread baking. I am pretty sure that it will not disappoint anyone. The only thing you need to do for this bread is to mix all the ingredients and leave it for a few minutes.
As we are using semolina for this recipe, it requires some time to soak water. After that dough is much easier to handle. Nothing can go wrong with this recipe if you follow all the steps.
I haven’t used eggs or a dairy product like milk, milk powder or butter for this recipe. So it is totally eggless and non-dairy. People who have allergy from dairy products, they should definitely try this bread recipe. I have used sesame seeds to make the bread healthy and a sesame semolina bread gives a nice visual appeal too.
|Tin Size||9x4x4 loaf tin|
|Oven Temp||200 °C|
|Baking Time||35 min|
|MW Convection Temp||180 °C|
|Baking Time||35 min|
|Cooling Time||2 hr|
PS: Use conversion table to switch recipe between grams and cups.
In a bowl, add lukewarm water, honey, and yeast. Mix it well and set it aside to froth.
Use a spatula to mix all the ingredients. Slightly mix all the ingredients and leave it for 10 minutes (During this time semolina will soak the water, thus making easy for you to handle the dough).
After 10 minutes, take out the mixture on a dusted surface. Start kneading it till you get a very soft non-sticky dough. It will take about 10-15 minutes.
Keep this dough in a greased bowl and cover it with cling wrap. Let it rise until it’s doubled in volume.
To shape the loaf, take out the risen dough on a dusted surface and punch it. Spread it into a rectangular shape. Roll it tightly into a log.
Lightly grease a bread loaf tin or line it with parchment paper. Place the Dough in it. Cover it with greased cling wrap and set aside for the second rise (It will approximately take 40-50 minutes depending upon the weather conditions).
Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 200 °C for 10 minutes.
Now Slice the bread and enjoy with your choice of spreads.
- In a bowl, add lukewarm water, honey and yeast. Mix it well and set it aside to froth.
- Use spatula to mix all the ingredients. Slightly mix all the ingredients and leave it for 10 minutes (During this time semolina will soak the water, thus make easy for you to handle the dough).
- After 10 minutes, take out the mixture on a dusted surface. Start kneading it till you get a very soft non-sticky dough. It will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Keep this dough in a greased bowl and cover it with cling wrap. Let it rise until it’s doubled in volume.
- To shape the loaf, take out the risen dough on a dusted surface and punch it. Spread it into a rectangular shape. Roll it tightly into a log.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- If your bread top is turning too much brown, Cover it with aluminium foil and continue to bake.
- Once done, take out your bread loaf on wired rack and let it cool down.
- Now Slice the bread and enjoy with your choice of spreads.