Homemade white sandwich bread in breakfast is the best way to start your day. At least, this is at least true for me and my son. He loves to have sandwiches in his tiffin and for him, I always have fresh white sandwich bread available at my place. Not only it helps me to solve his daily tiffin problem but also helps for small snack breaks at home.
It’s been ages that I have bought white sandwich bread from the market. And ever since I have started baking my homemade bread in the oven, my family has started hating the market bread. I now often bake Garlic bread, Pav Bun and Focaccia Bread for my kid’s tiffin. Baking bread at home gives you complete control of the ingredients for homemade bread and using the best quality ingredients makes your bakes awesome.
People think white sandwich bread is not good so they generally buy brown bread or wheat bread from the market. However, I have a difference in opinion here. I believe homemade fresh white bread is much better than market bought wheat or brown bread. You have the assurance of not having any harmful chemicals or preservatives in your homemade bread.
We are what we eat
I strongly believe in this old saying and that is the main reason why I started baking at home. Now I don’t feel guilty while serving sandwiches to my family as those are made with homemade bread. And because all these homemade bread tastes awesome, my son keeps demanding for more. Tomorrow I will be baking monkey bread for him.
|Oven Temp||200 °C|
|Baking Time||35 min|
|MW Convection Temp||180 °C|
|Baking Time||35 min|
|Cooling Time||2 hrs|
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
How to Bake Homemade Bread
To start with, first, activate the yeast. For this, in a bowl take lukewarm water (approximately 50 ml from the total 300 ml) and add sugar and yeast to it. Stir it and let it rest for 5 minutes or until it froths. Froth is the sign of good yeast.
In a separate kneading bowl, take flour and salt. Add activated yeast solution and start binding the dough by adding water to it. Start adding water little by little as it will make dough “easy to handle “for you. Add oil and mix it into the dough. The water amount can vary depending upon your flour quality. Initially, the dough will be sticky. Take the dough out on a floured surface and start kneading. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and non-sticky. Now keep the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rest until it doubles in volume.
With a temperature between 28 °C to 33 °C, my dough took 35 minutes to rise. The time can vary depending upon weather condition at your place. Once the dough doubles, punch it to release the air. Take the dough on lightly floured surface and knead it for another 2 minutes.
Shaping the White Bread
Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangular sheet with 1-inch thickness. Start folding the dough sheet to shape it into a log. Seal all the open edges properly.
Place the log into a greased loaf tin seam side facing the bottom of the tin. Cover the tin with cling wrap and again let the dough rest until it reaches to the rim of the tin. Time taken by the dough to rise again depends upon the temperature. For me, the dough was double in 30 minutes. So keep an eye.
When dough reached to the rim of the tin, it was time to bake it. Now keep your oven for preheating at 200 °C for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the dough with milk and it’s time to put homemade bread in the oven. Bake it in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 35 minutes. Place the tin on a middle rack.
Homemade Bread in Oven
If you feel your bread is browning fast then cover it with aluminum foil and continue to bake. The oven temperature should be 200 °C to bake the bread. If you are not sure about the temperature then I would suggest you use Oven thermometer as it gives you accuracy about the temperature.
After 35 minutes, take the loaf tin out from the oven. Immediately de-mold the bread and place it on a cooling rack. Brush the bread top with butter. It will help to soften the crust. Let the bread rest for minimum of 2 hrs.
Our homemade white sandwich bread is ready to slice and serve. Using a serrated knife, make even slices of the bread. A dollop of garlic butter on freshly baked bread is my favorite. This bread stays good up to 4 days on room temperature. Store your sandwich bread in a bread box.
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
Products from Amazon.in
- Price: INR 490.00
- Price: INR 299.00Was: INR 450.00
- 400 gm All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1 tbs Sugar
- 1 tbs Salt
- 2 tbs Milk For Milk Wash
- 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast 1 tsp = 5 gm
- 300 ml Water
- Take lukewarm water in a bowl. Add sugar and add yeast. Mix it properly and keep it aside for 10 minutes or until the yeast activates.
- In a mixing bowl, take all-purpose flour. Add salt to flour and mix it well.
- Add activated yeast solution and mix it. Add water and keep mixing the flour to make the dough. The dough will initially be sticky.
- Take the dough out on the dusted surface. Add oil to the dough and gently fold the dough. Knead the dough again for about 10-15 minutes.
- After about 10-15 minutes the dough will become elastic but non-sticky and will have superior texture. Take a bowl, grease it with some oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel.
- Keep the dough for the first rise for 30-40 minutes or until it doubles in volume.
- After 40 minutes the dough volume will double. Remove the kitchen towel and punch the dough to release the air.
- Knead the dough again for about 5 minutes. Keep the dough on a dusted surface for rolling. Take a loaf tin and place parchment paper in it or grease the tin with butter/oil. Spread the dough and start rolling the dough. Shape it into a loaf.
- Place the dough in the tin. Cover the tin with cling wrap and again let the dough rest until it reaches to the rim of the tin.
- Keep your oven for preheating at 200 °C for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the dough with milk and bake it in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, take the loaf tin out from the oven. Immediately de-mold the bread and place it on a cooling rack.
- After 2 hrs slice the bread and serve.
- Water should be lukewarm to dissolve the yeast. If you can't comfortably hold your finger in the water for a few seconds, wait for it to cool or add room temperature water to it.
- This is tried and tested recipe. Don’t ask for the substitutes. Any change in ingredients can change the final outcome. However, you can experiment and can share your results with us on our Facebook group.
- You can adjust the servings of this recipe in the “Recipe Card” and all the ingredients and their measurement will automatically adjust.
- In case you feel your dough is too wet to handle then add 50 gm flour.
- In case your dough is too dry and hard then add extra liquid accordingly.
- Baking time can vary oven to oven. So keep an eye.