Sourdough Crackers with chili and garlic should never finish at my place. Before the batch gets over, I have to prepare another batch, otherwise, only God saves me. The goodness of Whole-wheat flour and butter make my sourdough crackers a healthy snack for munching on tea or coffee. So far I have tried many flavors of these crackers but the favorite of my family is with garlic and chili.
I have been baking yummy snacks for the past 4 months. Interestingly, I have never seen my crackers staying on the shelf for more than 3 days, no matter how much I bake them.
|Must check my other Yummy Snacks:
I mean, when I started working with sourdough, my first question in mind was what to do with the discarded sourdough starter. The answer was sourdough crackers.
The starter I have used for my recipe is the one that I have created from the scratch. It’s a whole-wheat starter with 100% hydration, very much active and flavourful as compared to my APF starter.
When I talk about starters I feel so connected, just like a mother speaking about her child. From creating it to feeding on time, makes me remind of my journey as a mother with my son.
In March 2018 my friend Sue Lau selected the theme of crackers. The crackers theme got me excited because it was time for me to share my homemade sourdough crackers recipe with buttery garlicky and chili flavor. Believe it or not, this amazingly easy cracker recipe will even make your kids fall in love with these crackers.
I have curated the list of recommended tools and ingredients for baking. I recommend only tried and tested products that have given satisfactory results in my kitchen.
If you bake this recipe, please share a picture with me on my Instagram using #bakewithsonia
How to make Sourdough Crackers
In a large mixing bowl mix wheat flour, salt, sugar, garlic powder, chili flakes, and red paprika. In a different pan add butter and water and heat them together until butter melts. Now add the melted butter and water solution to dry ingredients.
TIP: Melting butter with water prevents burning of butter while heating it.
PS: Use Conversion Table to convert cups into grams and vice versa
Add sourdough starter to the mixture and gently fold all the ingredients to bind it to a soft dough. Do not knead it else the crackers will become chewy.
TIP: Refrigerating dough will solidify butter and will make it easier for you to handle the dough.
After 30 minutes, take the dough out from the refrigerator and roll it into a thin sheet of a ¼ inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut crackers out of it.
Meanwhile, keep the oven for preheating up to 150 °C.
Place all the crackers on a greased baking tray. Using a fork, prick each cracker. While placing crackers on a tray, leave some space in-between.
TIP: Pricking the crackers will avoid puffing them up during baking.
Bake these crackers in a preheated oven at 150 °C for 15 minutes or until edges turn golden.
When completely baked, take the tray out from the oven and transfer the baked sourdough crackers to another tray. Let them cool completely.
Buy Tools and Ingredients used in this recipe
March 2018: Crackers
Enjoy the diversity of cracker recipes this month!
- Coconut Cheese Crackers from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Crispy Homemade Cheddar Crackers from Palatable Pastime
- Dried Fruit Crackers from Cook’s Hideout
- Easy Homemade Oyster Crackers from Food Lust People Love
- Freshly Baked Methi Crackers from The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen
- Garlicky Chickpea Flour Crackers from Ambrosia
- Parmesan Herb Crackers from Spill the Spices
- Sourdough Crackers with Chilli and Garlic from Anybody Can Bake
- Sourdough Crackers with Gruyère and Thyme from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Popcorn Crisps from What Smells So Good?
- Spicy Potato Crackers from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Sweet & Savory Crackers from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Vegan Herbed Crackers from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Vegan Whole Wheat Crackers from Sneha’s Recipe
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
- In a pan melt butter and water together.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add melted butter solution along with starter to the dry ingredients. Start mixing.
- Prepare dough and cover it into cling wrap.
- Let the dough rest in refrigerator for about 30 min.
- After 30 min, take the dough out from refrigerator and roll it into a sheet on thickness ¼ inch.
- Meanwhile keep the oven for preheating at 150 °C.
- Bake these crackers in preheated oven at 150 °C for 15 min or until the edges turn golden.
- Once completely baked, transfer the crackers on another tray and let them cool
- Sourdough crackers with chilli and garlic are ready to serve.
- These taste heavenly with cheese dip.
- Do not knead the dough much after adding butter and starter. Else the crackers will turn chewy.
- I have used a cookie cutter with diameter 1.5 inches.
- While rolling the sheet, make sure it has even thickness. Else the baking time will vary.
- Use both the heating elements to bake crackers.
- The time and temperature will remain same for Convection.
- You can bake these crackers on a gas stove as well. How? For that check my post “Cookie without oven”.